Saturday, May 19, 2007

Story (na naman na hindi matatapos): I will wait forever - chapter 4

I WILL WAIT FOREVER - CHAPTER 4 - Betrayal




Ryan was about to go to the soccer practice, when he saw a familiar face sitting on the bench. "Justin?" he shouted. The guy looked back at him, then he started to walk away from him. "Hey! Justin! Wait up!" he said as he ran towards him.

Justin stopped and faced him. He could see anger in his eyes. "What do you want?" he snapped. "Whoa... are you mad at me?"
"No, I'm not! How can I be mad to my childhood friend?" Justin said sarcastically. After saying that, Justin left him.

Ryan knew that Justin has all the right in the world to be mad at him. Not only did he left him hanging, he betrayed him by going out with the girl Justin loved. "I guess he can never forgive me..." Ryan thought.

Justin and Ryan knew each other since childhood. They were neighbors and schoolmates. They were inseparable, until their first year in college. Ryan became a member of the varsity team. He hangs out with the most popular kids in school, and dates the prettiest girls in their batch. After being a part of the team, he stopped hanging out with Justin. There would be time when Ryan would ignore him, especially if he's with his teammates. Justin tried to understand Ryan, and still remained friends with him.

It was their fourth month in the University, and for the past four months, it was the first time Ryan hanged out with Justin. "We should always do this, you know..." Justin said. Ryan smiled. He, too, missed his best friend. His teammates and new friends could never compare to Justin, because only Justin knows him inside out. "So, what's keeping you busy?" Ryan asked.
"Well, you know... school works... term papers... classes..."
"No girlfriends?"

"You know that I'm too shy to ask a girl out..."

"But, do you have any crushes here in the university?"


Just then, Denise passed in front of them. Justin's eyes followed her even though she's already far. Ryan noticed this. "I knew it..." he said. Justin smiled at Ryan. "She's the girl that you like, right?" Justin nodded. "I'm in love with her, Ry..." he said seriously. "I want to tell her how I feel, but I just don't know to approach her... she's the most popular girl in school, and I'm just an ordinary guy..." Justin continued.


Ryan put his arms around his shoulder, and gave him an assuring smile. "Let me make it up to you, pal."

"What do you mean?"

"I'll set you up with her..."


Justin was surprised at what he said. "Really? You'll do that for me?" Ryan nodded. "Yep! Just because you're my best bud in the whole world."

====================================================================

Ryan befriended Denise, hoping he could set up his best bud with this popular girl. The more he gets to know Denise, the more he realizes that his friend deserves someone better than her. From his point of view, Denise is not the girl that Justin perceives.

He knows that Denise flirts a lot, and just like him, she have a lot of boyfriends. Aside from that, she smokes and drinks a lot, and she uses drugs sometimes. Aside from that, Denise flirts with him. He didn't want to disappoint Justin, so he decided not to set him up with Denise.

Every time Justin asks Ryan about Denise, he tries to make excuses. He would tell him that he haven't talked to her nor see her. Justin knows that Ryan's lying, but since he trusts him, he just let it pass. He thought that Ryan's doing something to make him closer to Denise.

During their batch's acquaintance party, Justin saw Ryan and Denise together. The moment he saw Ryan alone, he confronted him. "What are you doing, man? I thought you're going to set me up with Denise?" he said.
"I know, but give me time to tell her about it..."

Justin held on to Ryan's promise, but he's getting a little impatient and jealous. He knows that Ryan will do everything for him. He even watched as Ryan and Denise danced on the ledge, but what surprised him is when Denise gave Ryan a passionate kiss. Upon seeing this scene, he left the party. He never thought that his best friend would betray him.

Ryan tried to explain everything to Justin, but he didn't hear him out. Instead, he shut Ryan out of his life, and acted as though he never knew him. Ryan knew how much he hurt his best friend, but there's nothing that he could do to make Justin trust him again...

====================================================================

"Ryan, are you OK?" Macy observed that Ryan's not with himself. He looked as though he is listening, but he's deep in his thought. Ryan looked at her apologetically. "I'm sorry, Macy..." he said.
"Maybe you need to rest. Let's continue tomorrow..."Macy was fixing her things when Ryan asked her a question. "What would you do if a friend betrayed you?" he asked. Macy was startled by his question. "Well... I don't know..."
"Are you going to forgive your friend if you explained everything?"
"As long as the explanation is valid, I will."

Silence.

"Is there something wrong, Ryan?" Macy finally said. Ryan, then, began to tell his story about him, and his best friend, Justin.


To be continued...