Friday, June 8, 2007

Story - I will wait forever - chapter 20

I WILL WAIT FOREVER – CHAPTER 20 – Goodbye


In every hello, there is goodbye, because we cannot hold someone forever in our arms…

Ryan rushed Macy at the nearest hospital. He was so scared that he’ll lose Macy. "Macy… please wake up…" he whispered to her as the ambulance rush her to the hospital. Once they reached the hospital’s emergency room, he called her mom, and told her about the accident. "Where’s my daughter?" Macy’s mom said the moment they saw Ryan. "She’s still inside. The doctors are attending to her, and they won’t let me in…" he explained.

Just then, the doctor came out. "You must be Ms. Macy Perea’s mother?" he asked. "Yes, I am."
"You’re daughter’s OK. We checked, and there’s no head or brain injury." The doctor said. Both Ryan and her mom were relieved when they heard it from the doctor. "But, she fainted… is that serious?" Ryan asked. The doctor smiled and shook his head. "That’s just normal, especially after bumping the head. She should be waking up after an hour."

==================================================================

The next day, Ryan visited Macy at the hospital. When he opened the door, he saw the nurse fixing her bed. "Nurse, where’s the girl who’s staying here?" he asked. The nurse looked up at him and smiled. "Oh, Ms. Macy Perea? The just went home. She said she’s fine, and she can rest at home." The nurse explained. Ryan said his thanks to the nurse, and went to Macy’s house.

Ryan went to her house, and her mom greeted him. "I’m sorry, Ryan, but she’s not feeling well. She have to rest first before…" her mom explained to him. Ryan was sad that he was not able to see Macy. Then, he remembered the bouquet of roses that he brought for her. "Please give this to her, ma’am, and please tell her to get well soon…" he said. He left after giving her mom the roses. What he didn’t know, Macy was watching him the whole time that her mom talked to him. She asked her mom that she can’t face him.

===================================================================

The following week.

Macy was able to go to school after the accident. She still avoids Ryan whenever he’s around. Ryan still tried to talk to her, but she always makes it look like she’s busy. Even her friend, Rica would avoid him.

One time, Ryan saw her by her locker as she was fixing her things. He got the courage to approach her. "Hi!" he said. Macy looked at him, and gave him a faint smile. She put her attention back to her locker. "Uhmmm I would like to say thanks for saving me last week…" he said. Macy did not looked back at him. "It’s my pleasure." She said. "Macy, can we talk?"
"We are talking."
"I mean… about us…"
"There’s nothing to talk about us."

He watched her as she put the things on her locker, and put it in a box. "Are you changing lockers?" he asked. "Yeah." She answered. After she finished putting her things on the box, she carried it and began to walk away from him. "Macy…" he called. Macy looked back at him. "I… I hope we could hang out… just like before…" he said. Macy just smiled and started to walk away from him.

====================================================================

Weeks have passed and it’s almost the end of the first semester. Ryan was worried because he hasn’t seen Macy around. He asked Justin about her, but he couldn’t give him a definite answer. "I wish I know where she is, but I really have no idea…" he would always say to him. His last resort is Rica. Even thought he doesn’t know she’s mad at him, he got the courage to talk to her.
He waited for her until her class was finished.

The moment Rica saw Ryan outside his classroom, she avoided him. Ryan ran after her. "Rica… please… I just want to talk to you!" he shouted. "No, sorry, I don’t talk to strangers!" she shouted back. "Rica, I’m you’re friend!" he shouted again. Rica faced him, and went to him. "Our friendship ended after Macy left." She said.

Rica blames Ryan for hurting her best friend. She’s also mad with Ryan because he’s the reason why Macy decided to go to France.

"I just want to know where she is…" he said in a low voice. "You want to know where she is? Why? Are you going to follow her?" she said in a loud voice. "Yes. I will follow her."

She could feel her body’s quivering because of her fury. "Stop hurting my friend." She said as she tried to stop her anger. "The reason why she’s not here is because of you…"
"Just let me know where she is…"
"Let her go, Ryan. I will not tell you where she is… she deserves to be happy." After saying that, Rica left him alone.

====================================================================
It was the day that she was supposed to fly to France. Since her flight is scheduled that evening, she decided to visit Ryan’s pad. She couldn’t get inside his pad, because the last time that she was here, she left her key.

"Hi! You must be Ryan’s girlfriend?" she heard a voice say. She turned around, and she saw his neighbor smiling at him. "By the way, I’m his neighbor. He said that if you came, I should give it to you…" she said as she hand her the key. Macy smiled at her. "Thanks…"

She opened the door to his pad, and went inside. She stared at his empty pad. There were a lot of good and bad things that they shared here. She would usually catch him kissing other girls, whenever she make a surprise visit. They would hang out to this place whenever they have time to waste. As she looked around, she remembered the first time that they met. She also remembered the day that he told him that she loves him, and that night when he told her that he also feels the same.

She opened the door to his bedroom, and the memory that lingers to her mind is the night that she saw her cousin and Ryan on his bed. Suddenly, she felt her eyes are wet again. "I love you Ryan…" she said to herself. "But my heart’s already tired of loving you…"

She held the silver angel pendant that Ryan gave her on her birthday. "This will be your guardian angel…" he said before. "If this is my guardian angel, then why didn’t it protected me from all the heartaches you gave me?" she said to herself.

She still love Ryan, but she’s tired of loving him, of waiting for him, of being hurt by him. She decided to go, because she knows it’s the only way that she can forget the hurt, and maybe someday, when he’s ready to love her, all the pain would be gone.

She took the pendant from her neck, and together with her letter, she placed it on his bed. "Goodbye, Ryan… I wish you happiness…"

===================================================================

Justin watched Ryan as he stared at Macy’s picture. He knows that his friend misses Macy a lot. Lately, Ryan’s not being himself. He knows that he’s always thinking of Macy. "Do you really love her?" he asked Ryan. He looked up at him and gave him a faint smile. "I do…" he said. "Have you talked to her yet?"
"I wasn’t able to find her…"

Silence.

"I made the biggest mistake of my life…" Ryan finally said. "I’ve hurt the girl I loved too many times… I told her she’s the one that I love, but she saw me in bed with her cousin…" he continued. Justin just listened to him. "I never loved Meg… I never loved the girls I dated before… it was always her… she’s the only girl I want to spend my life with…"
"Ryan, this is the moment that I’ve been afraid of…" Justin said. "She loves you, but one day, she will get tired because you chose to do your old ways instead of changing for her…"
"I know it, Justin. And I regret hurting her…"

Tears started to roll from his eyes. Justin’s hurt to see his friend hurting. He wanted to tell her where Macy is, but he remembered his promise. "Don’t tell him I’m leaving…" Macy told him. But he couldn’t bear to see his friend suffer, so he decided to tell him her plans.

"I have not been completely honest with you, Ryan…" he began. Ryan looked at him, and started to listen. "I know where she is all this time…"
"Tell me where she is, Justin. I’ll follow her…"

Justin took a deep breath before beginning what he’s about to say. "She’s leaving for France tonight. All the time the she’s not in school, she was in Baguio for her training. She took the scholarship grant in a French university…" he explained. "Why… why didn’t you tell me?"
"I promised her we won’t tell you… that’s the reason why Rica’s avoiding you…"

Ryan stood up from his chair. He was about to go, when Justin stopped him. "We think it’s for the best Ryan…"
"You don’t understand!" Ryan shouted at him. "I love her! You’re telling me to let go the girl that I’ve loved most!"

Ryan took his hand away, and ran. Justin called him again. "Ryan!" he said as he reach him. "Flight 206. 6:38 PM. You could still stop her."

===================================================================

Traffic caused Ryan not to be able to get to the airport on time. He went home, feeling so low. The girl that he loved most is gone, and it was all because of him. As he entered his room, he noticed the letter on his bed. "Was she here?" he thought. Beside the letter is the silver angel pendant that he gave her on her birthday. He took the pendant, and began to read the letter.

Dear Ryan,

Being with you for the past 2 years had been a roller coaster ride. It was fun, yet full of pain. Pain, because you always took me for granted. Pain, because I'm always on the sidelines. Pain, because no matter how much I loved you, you can never love me back.I try to hold back all the tears whenever I'm with you. But God knows, that I cry myself every night, hoping he'll hear my prayer - that someday, you'll realize my worth.I'm giving up something that I knew I never had from the start - your love. I'm letting go of all the good and bad memories that we both had. But most of all, I'm letting you go.I hope you will someday find the girl who will love you as much as I loved you, and I do hope that you will love her back...

Macy

Tears started to flow from his eyes as he read her letter. "She’s gone…" he said to himself. "The girl I love is gone…"

To be continued...

0 comments: