Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Someone is an avid fan

Wow! I like Candy Pangilinan as a commedienne, and we have something in common. Check this out!

http://blogs.pep.ph/candidly/?p=95#comment-9579

The certified fans

Filed under: Features — admin at 7:30 pm on Monday, July 21, 2008

As I was writing this entry, I was at Athens Airport killing time, waiting for the flight that will take me to Thira Airport, Santorini in Greece. I was traveling alone. My itinerary was different from the group due to a prior commitment with Avon on the 20th.

I surveyed the airport. It was filled with good looking European-looking men. But they’re ordinary if I compare them to the Asian celebrities. I really couldn’t help but smile every time I remember my “meet and greet” experience with Wu Chun and Calvin Chen, the handsome lead actors in ABS-CBN TV series Romantic Princess.

I am a confessed Asian drama fan. Not merely a Koreanovela addict. I also watch Taiwanese, Japanese, Hong Kong, and Thai series and movies. I also check out their other show formats. I go online through mysoju, crunchyroll, etc. I have infected Gelli de Belen with this addiction.

I never knew that being a “fan” can actually give one that roller coaster of fleeting, extreme, mixed emotions.

It was a perfect rainy Saturday afternoon for a hair-pampering session in a salon. I was in the middle of a relaxing massage, while my nails were being sculptured and hair being treated…SMS tone.

Message from Gelli De Belen: Candy, Wu Chun is on TV now. Entertainment Live being interviewed by Toni now. Meron sila bukas sa ASAP and The Buzz. You have to do something…go!

I called Ian Reyno of The Buzz and asked him if we could go near Wu Chun and Calvin Chen. I also called Kate of ASAP so a photo-op with the two Asian stars could be arranged. Kate told me that their rehearsal schedule was at 10:00 a.m.

It’s settled. Gelli and I would have a date. I’d pick her up before 10:00 a.m. We were just too excited. We didn’t know what to wear. We even discussed the colors of our shirts and what type of outfits. We agreed not to be overdressed.

7:00 p.m. Saturday: Gelli called again. “Candy, watch PDA now. Bilis, guest na naman sila. Hindi mo pa sila nakikita.”

Whew! I was about to start this show I was hosting, and there was no TV around. “Calm down, Candy,” I told myself. “I’m going to see them tom.” The face of Wu Chun was plastered on my mind. Gosh! I felt stupidly funny but happy at the same time. I haven’t really felt this “kilig” for the longest time. I haven’t really been a fan to anyone at this level. That moment I declared that I like guys with chinky eyes or the Chinese mestizo type.

It’s show time! As I was entering the intimate party of Mrs. Adelle Sy, I looked around and the room was filled with Chinese mestizos. Gosh! God really loves me. They all looked so interesting and cute to me. My heart was flipping with exchanging images of Wu Chun and the audience in front of me. Hahahahaha! Pa-bagets naman ako masyado. Nakakahiya, para akong nagmumurang kamatis. To think that Wu Chun is only 30 years old.

7:00 a.m. Sunday: Gelli’s alarm woke me up. Ang aga ha. Aminin natin na parang OA din naman itong friend ko. So matching type lang naman pala kami sa emotions.

Heto na! Just before 10:00 a.m., we were nearing ABS-CBN. Gelli called Winnie Mariano of ASAP and found out that the two guys ain’t rehearsing anymore. Whaaaaat?!?! I called Kate to reconfirm. True enough the dancers were asked to go to the hotel. Now, we were asked to go to ABS-CBN at 12:45 p.m.

Gelli: Paano na? Kain na muna tayo.

Candy: Saan?

Gelli: kahit Saan?

Candy: Kahit kumain tayo sa Bulacan, aabot pa rin tayo kasi ang aga pa, sobra!

Gelli: Let’s buy some DVD or go to National Bookstore.

We discussed for about 30 minutes, while circling around Tomas Morato and Timog. We ended up killing time at Starbucks (Tomas Morato). Let’s have some bonding time.

Our bonding time was an exchange of what we know about Wu Chun. Gosh! Nag-research nga naman talaga kaming dalawa. Nakakahiya naman na we don’t know much about Calvin Chen. Tara, Let’s open the net and check him out.

Looking back, I can’t help but laugh at ourselves. We were truly avid fans…to the highest level. We spent two hours and a half exchanging notes and observations about the Asian novelas, movies. and actors…Mali…Mga 45 minutes lang. Kasi the rest was spent solely on Wu Chun.

ABS-CBN Lobby main entrance: Good and reliable Kate was waiting for us. Then we saw Tita Milette Santos who also helped us. She asked us to join her and the Wu Chun and Calvin Chen team, all waiting at the Lobby. Gosh! Welcome committee kami. Todo na ito. At ang konti lang namin doon. Todo na talaga ito. Hindi na namin alam ni Gelli kung ano ang gagawin namin.

Wait! I told her. We prepared for this moment to happen but when the security advised us that they were already at the gate…one minute away…I sort of lost my focus. I suddenly got thirsty…No, I felt like peeing…No, I wanted to jump…No, I wanted to become invisible. It just felt really weird.

Ayan na sila. Smile…no…Todo Smile! Tita Milette introduced us to them. Tita Leng saw us and invited us to join them inside studio 1. Opo, sumama kami. Todo talaga!!! Ngunit may ka-join, nahiya.

blog2.jpg

Super lapit nila sa amin but we didn’t dare talk to them. They asked for food. Sabi ko na nga ba, eh. Gelli and I were debating whether we should bring them food or not. In the end, the two were given food from the catering outside. Sayang naman.

Enter frame naman si Direk Tots Mariscal, “What are you girls doing here?” After hearing our story, “Huwaaaat?”

Direk Tots couldn’t believe that we were really there as fans.

We stayed during the whole interview, until we were given the chance to have a photo op with them. Todo! We just couldn’t get enough of them. My heart stopped for a second when I shook hands with them. Merong breath suspension na medyo nakakatawa and nakakatakot because baka magdire-diretso. Hahahaha!

blog1.jpg

“Tara na. Todo na ito,” say ni Gelli.

“Oo nga. Natatawa na sa atin yung mga staff, saka mga writers sa pagka-OA natin,” say ko naman.

At saka nakakahiya na kasi kanina pa nakabalandra ang mga pagmumukha natin sa kanila. Tama na! Saka…saka…baka mabigla ako at mahalikan ko.

We bid everyone goodbye and thanked them for their warm and sincere support. I truly appreciated that they did not alienate us and allowed us to experience such.

As we were waiting for the car at the lobby. There came three girls running towards us. They were so excited and said, “Ms. Gelli, Ms. Candy, p’wede po pa-picture?”

“Sure.” Ang sabay naming sinabi ni Gelli. Nagkatinginan kami. Napailing. Natawa…

1, 2, 3.. smile! After ng picture, we said goodbye and gave them a very sincere kiss. Silence. I brought her home. We both knew that something would never be the same after that day. I knew how to be a fan. I felt how was it to be a fan. I realized then how precious those photos and signatures were. I never knew how they could bring so much joy to a fan.

When we both reached home, I received a text after from Gelli, “Kinikilig pa rin ako.”

I texted her back, “Ako rin.”

To all na hindi ko napagbigyan at one point for a photo, signature, smile, or tumbling—sorry po. I will try to be more patient starting today. Kung sumablay ako, malamang todo na lang ang pagod ko or ‘di ko kayo narinig. The accountability of an actress goes beyond the things she does on screen and her performances.

It’s because the feeling of a fan goes beyond TV and characters. It transcends to the person. Fame should be accompanied by accountability and big responsibility. It does affect and infect lives.

I should know. I am a certified fan and I’m proud to be one.

As a matter of fact, as I am finishing this blog, I can’t help but simply smile. So this is how it feels…

0 comments: